Monday, August 15, 2011

Respect

It is an integral part of any relationship. It is something we all crave and try to give to those who deserve it. Yet, these days it seems pretty hard to come by. I am not sure if it is because as the years have gone on in my short time here that people seem to have gotten more and more entitled, or if it is just because people don't think respect is as important as it once was.

It is funny to me that I was raised to call my aunts and uncles Aunt Mary or Uncle Bob, yet now kids are calling their aunts and uncles by their first name only. I literally cringe when I hear that. We (most of the time) do not call our Mom and Dad Dick and Jane. Why is there less respect for our other elders? I can't believe the way kids can act and keep getting privileges that I guess are pretty standard to just have now. If I talked to my parents the way I see some kids and teens talking to their parents, my phone (Had I even had one.) would have been gone. My car, gone. I would most likely been on house arrest! There is an air of egotistical, egomaniacal, self-absorbed, self-obsessed, self-seeking, self-interested, self-serving; narcissistic behavior that is all too common and all too unacceptable!

When you are in the home of another you are typically on your best behavior. You don't put your feet on the coffee table, you offer or just start to help clean up after a meal is cooked for you, you keep your area in which you are a guest neat. Not so much anymore! People have lost manners and basic etiquette skills.

I guess I was raised old school, and therefore am more so old school than many. But I would take old school over this "progressive" way of life any day. I like being polite, nice, and helpful. I like being considered a good guest. It is important to me to not only act this way and be perceived as it, but to actually be respectful and polite. I think it is a trait you can be proud of and for the life of me cannot figure out why many others feel it is not important at all.

My son knows, please, thank you, you're welcome, bless you etc. and he is 3 years old. I have met 33 year olds who have less manners than him. This is appalling and something people should work on bettering. In so many other countries and cultures respect is so much more emphasized upon, I feel it is something we need to get back to as soon as possible!

I am falling asleep at the keyboard so goodnight for now. I'm thinking next on my blogging agenda is our obsession with looks, self worth, and status based off of monetary wealth and accumulation of worldly goods.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete